The truth is, I only shampoo my hair about once a week and condition it every other week... so shampoo free isn't exactly a huge change for me. I just knew that my hair does better on the days I don't wash it; but I felt like I had to wash occasionally just to not be gross. Now I know there is an alternative!
You just mix about a tablespoon of baking soda in a squirt bottle filled with water. That's it. Your new shampoo! That should last you close to a week if you wash daily.
Want a conditioner... another squirt bottle. This one has a tablespoon of vinegar and fill the rest with water. I added some lavender oil so I don't come out smelling like a pickle. Okay, I added lavender, bergamont, cedarwood, & balsam peru (one of my favorite combinations!)
If you are thinking, "Shannon, I knew you we're 'natural' but GROSS!" That's okay. Let me tell you my philospohy behind all things natural/green/organic/earthy.
If it is cheap, hassle-free, easy to maintain, and doesn't complicate my life, I'll try it.*I recycle because it means less trash I have to take out.
If it smells good, that's a bonus.
* I don't use hair/skin products because the good ones are expensive, and the cheap ones smell funny, and nothing really works anyway.
* I don't shop organic because it's so much more expensive; and dairy cows are no longer treated with growth hormones or antibiotics, and I rinse all my produce in Veggie Wash anyway.
* I do lots of baking with the fresh ground flour, but we buy sandwich bread at the grocery because it's cheap and it's easier for sammies.
* I use the Ergo because it helps me get things done even when Jackson is fussy, and it's easier on my back that holding him on one hip; not because I like carrying around a 20 lb. baby.
* I wear skirts because they are cooler in this heat.
* I breastfeed because it's less hassle than dealing with bottles, and it's free.
* I have natural births (HAD, I mean) because I dig the challenge, and it's cheaper and I love my midwife.
* I have containers of various seed pods, rocks, feathers and things because they make me happy and some even have great stories.
* I keep my locks long and wild because I look silly with short hair and I don't know what other choices I have. Besides I like it long and wild, even if it is frizzy sometimes. And maybe this baking soda/ vinegar will work!
You can call me a dirty hippie if you want, or a granola, a crunchy mama, a moonbeam, whatever. But you have to try the baking soda/vinegar rinse first.