Wednesday, November 4, 2009

worship

It's easy as a Christian to slip into default mode... that is, to pursue only whatever part of following Jesus that comes somewhat easily to you.  For some it may be studying or acts of service.  For me, it's application scripture and exhortation.  I like a verse that I can take and do something with.  Check it off my list, you know... and then feel good about.
 
"Cast your cares on the Lord."  Okay!
"Be patient; bear with one another in love."  Got it.
"Do not let the sun go down on your anger." I'll stay up, no problem.

I realize trying to do all of those things in my own strength is not just ridiculous and impossible; but it relies on my strength and personal goodness.  Which, let's face it, falls a little short.  Or a lot.

Once upon a time, my life's motto was Philippians 3:10, which oddly enough is one of the books full of exhortation! Verse 9 sets the stage by calling people like me out with, "not having any self-achieved righteousness that can be called my own..." Hello, Shannon?!?!

The Amplified version for Philippians 3:10 is this:
For my determined purpose is that I may know Him.  That I may progressively become more intimately acquainted with Him; perceiving and recognizing and understanding the wonders of His person more strongly and more clearly....

This is where I've been for about a week now.  Totally stuck on this verse.  And in worship.  Because to KNOW Him is to LOVE Him and that results in WORSHIP.  It all just goes together.   So, here are some of my current favorite songs that have helped me refocus on Jesus.  Who He is, what He's already done for me, and some raw unfiltered awe, too.

How He Loves by JohnMark McMillan
Revelation Song by Gateway Worship
You're Beautiful by Phil Wickham

2 comments:

juneheller said...

Revelation Song is my new jam. I listen to that song once a day lately. That and Hosanna by Hillsong.

Good post.

Shannon Mills said...

Yes, almost added Hosanna too. Good stuff.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails